Checklist for Software Metrics
The process metrics questions focus on the degree to which the software engineering process is quantified and measured. Typical metrics concern software quality, the amount of code developed, resources used, and such progress indicators as review coverage, test coverage, and test completion.
- Are software staffing profiles maintained of actual staffing versus
- Are productivity and effort measured and recorded for each phase of the
- Are profiles of software size maintained for each software configuration
- Are profiles of software complexity maintained for each software item?
- Are statistics on software design errors gathered?
- Are statistics on software code and test errors gathered?
- Are profiles maintained of actual versus planned software units designed, over time?
- Are profiles maintained of actual versus planned software units completing unit testing, over time?
- Are profiles maintained of actual versus planned software units
integrated, over time?
- Are target computer memory utilization estimates and actuals tracked?
- Are target computer throughput utilization estimates and actuals tracked?
- Are design and code review coverages measured and recorded?
- Is test coverage measured and recorded for each module tested?
- Are software problem reports tracked to closure?
- Are the cost and effort needed to correct errors measured and recorded?
- Are any metrics defined and applied for measuring the quality of the
- Are there any metrics to rate the quality of the software process?
- Are quality measures used to identify weak points of the product and the
process and to verify quality criteria?
- Are measures used for initiating corrective actions, if a measurement
value deteriorates or exceeds given boundaries?
- Are measures used for introducing product and process improvements?
- Are all data collected during the project recorded and evaluated?
- Are process and product metrics (e.g. productivity and effort) used
to plan following projects?
- Are there any mechanisms to regularly review whether the defined metrics
are still adequate and representative?
- Do you plan for measurement activities?
Boehm, B.W.: Verifying and Validating Software Requirements and Design Specifications. IEEE Software, January 1984.