Checklist for Quality Planning
This checklist is based on ISO 9000-3 and IEEE standard 983-1986. The questions refer to general aspects of quality planning and to the contents of quality plans.
- Has a quality plan based on the quality management system been prepared as part of the project plan?
- Is the quality plan updated along with the progress of the software development?
- Is the quality plan formally reviewed and agreed by all organizations concerned in its implementation?
Quality Plan Content
According to ISO 9000-3 and IEEE Standard 983-1986 the quality plan should specify or reference the following items:
- Description of the project and plan management (organization, tasks and responsibilities)
- Specific responsibilities for quality activities such as
- reviews and tests,
- onfiguration management and change control,
- defect control and corrective action
- Identification of documents to be used for development, verification, use, and maintenance of the products covered by the quality plan and how they are to be evaluated
- Defined input and output criteria for each development phase
- Plan for verification of all development phase outputs to establish that
phase outputs meet the corresponding requirements, i.e. plan for control measures such as
- development reviews at appropriate points in development phases;
- tests and demonstrations.
- Identification of standards, practices, and conventions to be applied
- Quality objectives, expressed in measurable terms whenever possible
- Identification of types of test, verification, and validation activities to be carried out
- Detailed planning of test, verification and validation activities to be carried out, including schedules, resources and approval authorities
- Document methods for identification of software product items, change control, and change reporting
- Dicussion of problem reporting and corrective action
- Description of the tools, techniques, and methodologies to be used
- Definition of code control methods and facilities
- Definition of media control methods and facilities (e.g. unauthorized access)
IEEE 1991, IEEE Standard for Developing Software Life Cycle Processes. IEEE Std. 1074-1991, IEEE Standards Collection Software Engineering. IEEE 1993 Edition, New York 1993.